Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

11 Speed Chain: tool compatibility

The Topeak Mini 20 Pro multitool says in its instruction sheet that it isn't compatible with 11 speed chains. The Topeak website says it just isn't compatible with Campy 11 speeds. I have a KMC 11 speed.

Am I right in thinking that if I'm planning on using a quick link to fix any break then any chain tool will do to remove the link? Or do I need a tool that says it's compatible with my chain?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Campag chain tools need a cone-shaped 'peening anvil' on the side opposite the press in side, to slightly flare the hollow end of the link.

If you're after a mini tool that will do that, the Park Tool CT6.3 is relatively inexpensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.T...

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use both KMC Missing/Master Link pliers; remover and connector on 10 & 11 speed chains [Shimano & KMC]. The KMC 11 speed missing links tends be difficult [more snug] to install by hand, thus the need of the connector pliers. The pliers are not only inexpensive, but also guaranteed to work on your chain. HTH

Latest Comments