Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Not Garmin - Decent bike GPS that does not require a smart phone

I've wasted 12 hours trying to get my Garmin 820 working. Being on hold, trawling through useless support pages to access help numbers and emails etc etc

I also wasted 20 quid buying OS High Sierra to make certain it was compatible. 

Is there a non-Garmin bike GPS that does not require a smartphone? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

HoarseMann | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Garmin PC software is dire. Sounds like this is the problem rather than the GPS itself.

The connect express application seems to work reliably for uploading rides to strava... but downloading routes using their software is hopeless. Don’t even try to use the mapping tools!

The only way I’ve found that works is planning routes with ridewithgps.com website, exporting as a .tcx and then saving the .tcx in the NewFiles folder on the Garmin SD card.

Trying to get the Garmin to plot a route itself usually ends up a long way round disaster of unsurfaced paths. 

ConcordeCX replied to HoarseMann | 5 years ago
0 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

The Garmin PC software is dire. Sounds like this is the problem rather than the GPS itself.

The connect express application seems to work reliably for uploading rides to strava... but downloading routes using their software is hopeless. Don’t even try to use the mapping tools!

The only way I’ve found that works is planning routes with ridewithgps.com website, exporting as a .tcx and then saving the .tcx in the NewFiles folder on the Garmin SD card.

Trying to get the Garmin to plot a route itself usually ends up a long way round disaster of unsurfaced paths. 

i’ve used garmin eTrexes (eTrices?) for years. I started using the cheapest eTrex as a get-out-of-jail-free device for long-distance walking with map & compass. I’m on my 4th now, having bought updated versions as they come out. The software works, but not necessarily in the way you’d expect... and it takes a lot of suffering and frustration to understand its warped little mind.

One of the things that used to frustrate me was plotting a route with other, easier software, squirting it into the Garmin, then finding that the Garmin wanted to go its own way. When I eventually gave in and started to use Garmin Express I found that you can use it to plot the route with the map that you have in the device, so when you are actually out there, it goes where you told it to.

OR_biker | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a Magellan (Mio) 505 that I bought used last year from a riding buddy.  Haven't been super impressed with the navigation (big part I think is that maps aren't updated very frequently, so unable to keep up with all the changes in the city).  But for all the normal ride/data tracking, it works great.  Doesn't seem to work with the newer Garmin magnet-less speed sensor (the one that wraps around your wheel hub), but I really only got that to use with my trainer anyways, and I use an app on my phone to track my trainer rides so for me it's not a problem.  I haven't had any issues with GPS signal even in bad weather, unlike some guys I ride with that use Garmins.  I also just discovered (even though it's been available for like 2 years now) that I can get two months of Strava Premium for free with the 505 so I can use Live Segments.  Although I think I'll go for a computer with side buttons next time (just my personal preference), the touch screen isn't bad, and I can usually get by even with thick gloves during winter.  Another thing to note, it doesn't have a lap button/function, so if you like to be able break up sections of a ride or track intervals that way you may want to look elsewhere.  I typically just break things down once I get the ride into Strava, so no issue for me.

viv | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi David, no - I'm not sending Strava segments. Just segments I've plotted in Connect on my routes. 

But I've already wasted a few afternoons on this. I'm not here to find a solution. I'm here to find an alternative.

David Arthur @d... | 5 years ago
0 likes

That is a strange one! Take it you're sending Stava segments to the Edge? That's not something I've tried I'm afraid, so don't really know what to suggest to help. This 'might' help https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918277-Strava-Live-Segme...

viv | 5 years ago
0 likes

David - Express is installed and recognises device when plugged in. This was a bit hit and hit and miss at first but now seems fine. Connect log in is fine too. My rides show in Connect. However, and this is where it doesn't add up, Connect does not recognise my device. When I send a segment to the device it tells me there is nothing connected - despite Express showing the device at connected, sync'd up AND Connect showing me my rides after I plug it in. 

Garmin told me to uninstall-reinstall etc. I've done that. Connect also seems glitchy. A local climb showed up as 4500 ft. It is not. 

David Arthur @d... | 5 years ago
1 like

What's your problem with the 820? I've been using one for the past year, and after lots of issues early on, the latest firmware update has made it a lot more stable and usable. 

Hearing good things about the Wahoo Bolt, I've not tried one personally but Mat Brett seemed impressed judging by his review http://road.cc/content/review/222249-wahoo-elemnt-bolt-gps-cycling-computer

viv | 5 years ago
0 likes

A few people are suggesting Garmins or devices that need a smartphone. I don't think the topic title is unclear  - not Garmin, not for use with a smartphone. Simple. 

Have to say, the Mio devices look promising.

Also - I'm not disputing that others find Garmins good or enjoy using Wahoos with their phones - but this is not (and isn't currently) going to work for me. Jetman - great that yours works, but mine doesn't. Rather than keep spending time troubleshooting with an atrocious support network I'd rather cut my losses, send it back, and buy an alternative that doesn't require my time and energy to discover work arounds to access the functions it promises on the box. Rant over.

Mio, Lezyne and Bryton on the list.... 

Cheers all!

kevvjj replied to viv | 5 years ago
0 likes

viv wrote:

A few people are suggesting Garmins or devices that need a smartphone. I don't think the topic title is unclear  - not Garmin, not for use with a smartphone. Simple. 

Have to say, the Mio devices look promising.

Also - I'm not disputing that others find Garmins good or enjoy using Wahoos with their phones - but this is not (and isn't currently) going to work for me. Jetman - great that yours works, but mine doesn't. Rather than keep spending time troubleshooting with an atrocious support network I'd rather cut my losses, send it back, and buy an alternative that doesn't require my time and energy to discover work arounds to access the functions it promises on the box. Rant over.

Mio, Lezyne and Bryton on the list.... 

Cheers all!

Good luck with the Bryton software (if you buy one).... awful, just awful. And if you think Garmin support is dire just wait until you havve issues with a Bryton device.

Jetmans Dad replied to viv | 5 years ago
0 likes

viv wrote:

Jetman - great that yours works, but mine doesn't. Rather than keep spending time troubleshooting with an atrocious support network I'd rather cut my losses, send it back, and buy an alternative that doesn't require my time and energy to discover work arounds to access the functions it promises on the box. Rant over.

Apologies ... didn't make my point clear. 

There are clearly issues with the newer Garmin devices, and those with more complex/mapping features, whereas I have always found my older Edge 200 and Edge 500 to be basically bulletproof. I have only lost data on one occasion in 6 years, and have never had issues with synchronising rides to GC or Strava or routes to the device from GC. Neither of them have maps. 

For me the combination of Express and Connect has always just worked ... friends with newer devices or devices with maps have always had issues that are difficult to resolve. 

That said, my two buddies with Bryton devices spend most of their time cursing their computers too. The others I cannot comment on. 

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
3 likes

He didn't say he wanted the best, he said he wanted one that didn't need a smartphone - bit of a fail suggesting the Wahoo!

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
2 likes

Wahoo Elemnt, Ive got one, all my cycling buddies have them now.  World wide maps, easy to configure(via phone), regular updates/firmware. 

A dream to use compared to Garmin. 

Hey if you dont want the best, buy a Garmin

nniff | 5 years ago
1 like

I know it's a Garmin, but a Garmin Edge Touring or Touring plus doesn't need a phone.  All depends if you want loads of data or a record of where you've been, route guidnace, maps and basic data, or the full monty of power and all that.  Mine's  done me well for years, but has the occasional melt down, which it gets over in due course

DoctorFish replied to nniff | 5 years ago
2 likes

nniff wrote:

I know it's a Garmin, but a Garmin Edge Touring or Touring plus doesn't need a phone.  All depends if you want loads of data or a record of where you've been, route guidnace, maps and basic data, or the full monty of power and all that.  Mine's  done me well for years, but has the occasional melt down, which it gets over in due course

No, not this, I woun't wish a Touring plus on anyone.  Best cycling based decision I ever made was to trade the piece of crashing worthless trash in for a Wahoo.  I would suggest a Wahoo but setting it up with a smartphone is a doddle, but I have no experience of trying to set it up without a smartphone.

hawkinspeter replied to DoctorFish | 5 years ago
0 likes

DoctorFish wrote:

nniff wrote:

No, not this, I woun't wish a Touring plus on anyone.  Best cycling based decision I ever made was to trade the piece of crashing worthless trash in for a Wahoo.  I would suggest a Wahoo but setting it up with a smartphone is a doddle, but I have no experience of trying to set it up without a smartphone.

I think a smartphone is essential for setting up a Wahoo. I'd recommend getting a Wahoo and find a friend with a smartphone to set it up and download maps etc.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
1 like

The Mio 315 for about £180 or 505/515 with Euro maps for £20 or so more. 

Big touch screen, colour, doesn't require smartphone, nice features including 'surprise me', 'back to start' and 'home' on navigation!

viv | 5 years ago
0 likes

Good suggestions - thanks. The Garmin I have (820 Edge Explore) should not require a smartphone. That's not why it isn't working. I don't have the time or energy to explore the glitches. I just want something to work instantly.

I'd like a Garmin, but seeing as the Connect platform cannot send anything to the device I doubt an 810 will be any different.

I'll look into Lezyne.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jetmans Dad replied to viv | 5 years ago
1 like

viv wrote:

I'd like a Garmin, but seeing as the Connect platform cannot send anything to the device I doubt an 810 will be any different.

I have an Edge 500, which I moved to from an Edge 200 and have never had a problem sending stuff from Connect to the device ... in fact I sent a route to the 500 from GC this very morning. 

PRSboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Garmin 810.  Seems to be not well liked by forumistas, but I've been pleased with mine... got it cheap from Aldi.  Lots of functionality, its been reliable and does not need a smartphone, though it can pair with one for uploads, weather etc.

kevvjj | 5 years ago
0 likes

Garmin older models such as the 810 don't require a smartphone - plenty available online and good prices.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
1 like

Bryton and Mio probably worth a look too. Off the top of my head the Bryton 330/530 or Mio 3x5/5x5 series might appeal, although there's certainly newer models out now (Bryton 410/450 look good at first glance, very good pricing again from them)

Tommytrucker | 5 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at the Lezyne range, pretty decent and don't need a phone to set up or whilst riding. 

viv | 5 years ago
0 likes

Both. I do not use or want to ride with a smart phone. I thought a Garmin was the only option. Now I am looking for another...

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

Something like a Wahoo Elemnt needs a smartphone to set it up and alter settings, but doesn't need a phone once it's setup.

DoctorFish | 5 years ago
0 likes

As in it doesn't require a smart phone ever (for setting up), or that it doesn't require you to ride with smart phone?

Latest Comments