Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Derv Peugeots

Greetings,

I am looking into buying a used derv fueled Peugeot estate mid-size engine capacity for lugging bikes/welders/familiy/Friends etc and regular motorway duties something around the T or V plate (1999 ish)...Anyone know anything about them-what to look for and particularly when to smile a lot and run away very quickly?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I have a year old Vectra 1.9 CDTi Diesel and it does all those things, almost exactly as you describe. The only one I don't know about is the coolant level, as I have never ventured under the bonnet, except the times to check the oil when the light came on (it's a company car).

It seems to be cyclical, the oil light did that two or three times, and hasn't done it since, and that is several months now. The brake light comes and goes. I like the car though despite all of that.

PzychotropicMac | 14 years ago
0 likes

Question about a vectra (new-ish shape) diesel. I have got a couple of problems with it so apologies for hi-jacking the thread
1> the oil level warning light comes on after about 10mins of driving, ive checked the levels and they arent changing, the levels seem fine but the light comes on regardless.
2> Coolant level drops slightly. Have a long drive and the level of the coolant drops by 1cm or so
3> The warning light to tell me I have a light out comes on...Ive checked all the lights and they are fine, why is it coming on?!

Its winding me up!!!

Shaun Audane | 14 years ago
0 likes

As with most things these days it seems bad cars aren't commonplace in the way they were twenty or thirty years back. I wasn't looking for a huge load lugger per se, rather something midsize hence the 306 (coupled with the fact I'd seen a few about). As for the Focus, little to dislike in practice but cam-belt seems to be Ford's 16V weak point.

That said, certain manufacturers are very good at building mythology. German cars being a case in point...The emphasis now being upon refinement rather than engineering per se... I quite like the 1 series BMW estates but felt in some regards the 16002 and 2002 cars from the 70's were better than the 3 series that replaced it.. Depends on how we're measuring things....

BMW's R65, R80 & R100 boxer twin motorcycles were fine motorway machines...The R45 by contrast was rare and gutless.

DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes

You'll not go wrong with a Focus estate.
Constantly surprised by how much I can get in the back. My petrol has done 120K on first exhaust and clutch.

jezzzer | 14 years ago
0 likes

alternatively what about an octavia? they started in 1998 i believe - i have the petrol turbo but the diesels aren't at all bad either.

jezzzer | 14 years ago
0 likes

i had a 306 turbo diesel. great car, cheap as chips now, good mpg, markedly more fun to drive than the equivalent Astras, Golfs and so on of the same vintage. if you can stretch to a focus then they are arguably better again, but they weren't around when i bought mine.

never heard of them being famous for engine fires, and that's knowing several other people who had/have them.

TwiggyHo | 14 years ago
0 likes

Just got a 2003 vectra 1.9 cdti. Seems good at the moment but the stereo is a nightmare to get out. The battery died so the radio needs resetting...need the code of the back or somthing but I cant get it out if the dash!

Shaun Audane | 14 years ago
0 likes

There had been others to mind- Vauxhall Astra's being one. Being someone who runs older but tidy and reliable vehicles I wanted to avoid anything particularly complex or otherwise troublesome. There's the odd problem car in amongst any model/range but I want to avoid a dog!

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

nah..but i would like a pair of 'Sidi's' like them there.

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

is that you with the fixer and the big turn ups on the jo's blog then?  1

last one i got is happiness in magazines, sorry

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

oh i see...whats the new Graham Coxon l.p. like?

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

technically we're in tea stop here so you'd get ticked off for actually talking about bikes  1

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

i know nothing about cars...anyhow thought this was a bicycle website thingy..?!

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

The Peugeot 306 is notorious amongst car mechanics for engine fires. This is because the starter motor is engaged all the time I believe. I've borrowed the 306 diesel our neighbours own and found it crude and noisy. I know they're cheap on fuel and the Peugeot diesel engines have a good reputation but I'm sure there are plenty of other diesel cars out there too.

Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

I didnt own an estate but I owned a 1999 Peugeot 306 1.9D-turbo. Great car, really easy to drive with very pleasing mpg. I know the estates have a good size boot, friends can fit 3 or 4 bikes inside with 3 on the back comfortably.
Mine could also tow a 6m, 80hp rigid inflatable boat if that gives you any sense of torque and grip.

Also, given that these are common cars they are very easy to find parts for and to fix yourself.

I found that a common issue with 306's was a knocking from the front wheel bearings and suspension struts. Its simply a case of keeping an eye on it and noticing any dodgy noises and pull on the steering. The other things to look out for are the same as on all diesel cars, nothing specific to peugeots in my experience anyway.

Latest Comments