Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need to record my cadence!

I'm looking for a bike computer that records my cadence, I'm not fussed about GPS functionality.

It's not actually for my road bike, it's for my BMX, I race and my leg speed needs work, so I would like to be able to log my cadence when doing maximum effort sprints, this means I need the information recorded rather than displayed so I don't sprint into a park car etc!

I'm currently looking at the Garmin Edge 500 with Cadence sensor, but ideally I'd like something cheaper, as I won't be using a fraction of these computers functions. What are your suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Dan's right about the max speed thing though  1

JCornford | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dave for the useful reply, I'm after a tool to do the job and not a bodge!

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

You could count how many revs you do in 10seconds and multiply it by 6. Cheaper than the £10 suggestion from Rockerfeller Jnr II above!  3

Dan Joyce | 12 years ago
0 likes

You could just use any old bike computer that will store max speed and average speed. Probably available from Decathlon for about 10 quid, unless you can download something for your phone that'll do it (which would be cheaper still).

Now work out the gear of your bike in inches. That's: chainring size in number of teeth divided by sprocket size in number of teeth, multiplied by diameter of wheel in inches.

Cadence equals:

Speed (mph) multiplied by 336, divided by gear (inches)

You can do this twice to find your maximum cadence (working from max speed) and your average cadence (average speed).

Cheaper than the £35 suggestion from Rockefeller Jnr, above!  3

arrieredupeleton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cateye do the Strada Cadence for about £35. Gaffa tape your mobile phone to it to video record the cadence as you go! Cheaper than Rockefeller's suggestions above!^^

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

You could look at the Bryton Rider 35 or the VDO Z2 PC-link, both of which are about £125 online. You'd need an ANT+ cadence sensor too but you can get one of them for less than twenty quid.

Latest Comments