Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Drivers and their problems

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3235 comments

IanMSpencer replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

The interesting part about that is why 58 offences were racked up. It was stopped elsewhere for having no insurance, but implicit in that was the registration did not tie up to an address and they needed the information from another force to identify the driver. They then sent 58 notices all at once.

Clearly a deliberate attempt to drive outside the law. They must have known they were setting off speed cameras and not getting tickets so they believed their ploy was working.

I can't see that ban being abided by given that no other aspect of vehicle law was abided by. Watch this space.

Hirsute replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

gofundme.com/imalawbreaker/46880

David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

every council blinkered, every police force corrupt, traffic engineers incompetent, every enforcement scheme only about the fines - thank goodness for drivers who always know better than the experts.

Tell you what Mr Bull, the M32 - there's an example  of something cutting the city in two.

Clean Air Zone will 'cut the city in two', says driver ahead of launch

'They are basically robbing people, and I don’t think the mayor really understands the implications of this for South Bristol'

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/clean-air-zone-cut-city-...

brooksby replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

They've been talking about the Bristol CAZ for years, and it has nearly been put in place a couple of times over the last year before being pushed back. 

But only now, a month before its implementation, are protesters appearing saying it will 'lock them in their homes'.

David9694 replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

For once, bona fide people with disabilities, not the driver makey-uppey/ recently discovered passion for disability rights kind. 

0 likes

oh no! Bristol cut in half AGAIN! (PS now do cars) 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/half-south-bristol-cut-o...

JustTryingToGet... | 1 year ago
3 likes

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/23056149.calls-change-caversham-...

This one sums up for me the widespread acceptance of really shitty driving. This is a traffic light junction. Visibility not brilliant from the lakes but unlike the comments it is absolutely false to suggest that you have to drive out blind.

There is a significant core of people who would readily blame a business for existing rather than suggesting drivers who can't negotiate this junction shouldn't be driving.

My unpopular take is that roads have become too safe for motors, and vehicles have become too safe for the occupants... it has removed the onus on the driver to actually engage their brain.

Secret_squirrel replied to JustTryingToGetFromAtoB | 1 year ago
0 likes

I disagree.  Its a crappy road layout and what businesses are down by the lakes are irrelevant.  Basically its a 4 way slightly offset crossroads but with only 3 roads being traffic light controlled.  Its a recipe for disaster.

If you are turning up into Cav park village from the lakes and there is a queue of traffic in the nearside lane you do have to pull out blindly into the far side lane and hope no-one is barrelling down the outside of the queue.

Just coz drivists are raising petitions doesnt mean they are automatically wrong. 

JustTryingToGet... replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes
Secret_squirrel wrote:

I disagree.  Its a crappy road layout and what businesses are down by the lakes are irrelevant.  Basically its a 4 way slightly offset crossroads but with only 3 roads being traffic light controlled.  Its a recipe for disaster.

If you are turning up into Cav park village from the lakes and there is a queue of traffic in the nearside lane you do have to pull out blindly into the far side lane and hope no-one is barrelling down the outside of the queue.

Just coz drivists are raising petitions doesnt mean they are automatically wrong. 

I posted that article because I use that Junction and my experience is, yes, you need to be cautious but you aren't blind. I've come out of the lakes on foot and by car. I wouldn't like doing that direction on two wheels though I do that Junction on the bike going between Sonning and Cav Park (up lowfield).

I'm not saying it's great, I'm saying that making junctions easier is keeping shit drivers on the road. The danger on that junction is people speeding, racing the lights and blocking the keep clear box not the design itself.

I'm not totally closed to persuasion but it would take a lot to convince me that some one who can't negotiate that should be on the road. Blaming the business, as opposed to tackling dangerous driver behaviour is madness. Besides, I bet you the numpties that can't manage that are the same ones that can't manage Briants Ave.

Edit: i think the biggest danger is drivers coming out of the lakes racing the lights, and drivers from Sonning racing the lights so they are a danger to each other. Let them take each other out, Darwinsim in action. If you exit the Lakes and don't think you should wait a phase, you are too entitled to be in a car.

David9694 replied to JustTryingToGetFromAtoB | 1 year ago
4 likes

"That's a dangerous /busy /fast road / tricky junction/a lot of accidents there/ the cars go really fast down there"  Yep, nothing about driving to the conditions, or too many cars, car reliance and crap driving. 

Secret_squirrel replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Thats a disingenous arguement.   We dont tolerate not fit for purpose cycle lane layouts and therefore its perfectly valid for drivists not to tolerate poor road layouts.

Active safety is about designing (roads etc) so that poor behaviours are minimised - especially when there's a high likeyhood of interaction with other road users.

Saying its all the drivists fault is a copout as much as it would be convienient and tempting to do so.

mattw replied to JustTryingToGetFromAtoB | 1 year ago
1 like

The businesses down by the lake seem to be operating without Planning Permission for the recent major enlargement, unless it has changed.

They have set up a large aqua park with various activities with no PP.

Such a PP would perhaps require improvement to the Junction as a Planning Condition, which would address the issue.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/20880189.caversham-lakes-uncerta...

David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Costco urged to act as motorists queue for bargain fuel

similar story in the Southampton Echo affecting a particular road - Desperation Britain

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/costco-urged-act-mot...

David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Will someone please think of the drivers?  Welcome to my world, guys. 

'John Reynolds recently travelled up to Gainsborough to go walking and he thinks the recent reports are "shocking". The 69-year-old from Peterborough said: "It's shocking really when you think about how dangerous that could be, it's life-threatening.'

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/residents-scared-worr...

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

David9694 wrote:

Will someone please think of the drivers?  Welcome to my world, guys. 

'John Reynolds recently travelled up to Gainsborough to go walking and he thinks the recent reports are "shocking". The 69-year-old from Peterborough said: "It's shocking really when you think about how dangerous that could be, it's life-threatening.'

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/residents-scared-worr...

That sounds very scary. I wonder if it was these two?

IanMSpencer replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

To be honest, there is a tiny little bit of me quite impressed that vandals are capable of throwing microwaves and goalposts from a moped onto cars, a) to carry them; b) to ride with them and c) to hurl them; without going tits up.

It is a small example of if criminals are so good at being criminal, surely there is a legitimate occupation they could apply their talent to.

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Poor John.  But since he's going walking he'll have taken the train from Peterborough to Doncaster, then one out to Gainsborough (1 hour 35 min - quicker than Google's predicted fastest 1hr 40 min), so surely he'll be fine?

David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Southampton mum's fury as driver parks in her spot outside flat

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23048977.stranger-leaves-car-southampto...

brooksby replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

People do seem to have this misplaced belief that the piece of road outside their house/garden somehow belongs to them...

But this story was a little different in that I see that the car was parked on her driveway.  For fifteen minutes.  By the estate agent working for her landlord.

0 likes

brooksby wrote:

People do seem to have this misplaced belief that the piece of road outside their house/garden somehow belongs to them...

But this story was a little different in that I see that the car was parked on her *illegal* driveway.  For fifteen minutes.  By the estate agent working for her landlord.

TIFTFY

as always when it's cars, things escalate quickly. This looks like another lost front garden pressed into service for parking. 

David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

'Roads designed by Mr Bean' - Funny video blasts Western Corridor traffic lights in Yeovil

Yeovil Traffic Light Jive lyrics

Right then kids, we need to pop out to the shops to get our tea.

We have to cross that roundabout, so pack an overnight bag for the journey.

Let's all do the traffic light jive. Red, amber, green.

[comtinues this way for another 20 lines]

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/roads-designed-mr-bean...

kinderje replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I live in Yeovil and those roundabouts with traffic lights are dreadful. I've lost count of the times that I am stopped at a roundabout with no traffic around just because the lights are red. One of the roundabouts will not let you turn right without stopping you at least once so if there are more than two cars wanting to turn right you immediately snarl the roundabout up for other traffic. If I am on my bike I have to try and weave through traffic (not always possible) or sit in the middle of a roundabout hoping that cars going straight across see, and avoid, me.

David9694 replied to kinderje | 1 year ago
0 likes

You should go on the internet and complain.

£15m spent and drivers not happy/satisfied - never will be, never can be.

David9694 replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
1 like

But my car-dependant business

David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

don't read this non-story: A spokesperson for Waltham Forest (that well known Somerset local authority) Council said: "We have investigated this incident and this fine was issued in error. It has now been cancelled. We apologise for the mistake.” 

Driver fined £130 after pulling into bus lane to let ambulance pass

James lost when he appealed explaining why he had pulled over

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/driver-fined-130-after...

David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

A week in road violence in the West Midlands: 

Teen cyclist fighting for life after crash on Black Country Route in Bilston

The youngster was rushed to Birmingham Children's Hospital with 'life-threatening injuries'

Sentence 'error' for killer driver who struck girl, 6, as she walked with dad in Staffordshire

John Owen, 46, was locked up after admitting causing death by dangerous driving
(his sentence went up slightly - incident in 2021)

Air ambulance called to tractor and 4x4 crash in Church Stretton as driver seriously hurt

The driver of the 4x4, a man, was treated for serious injuries

Boy, nine, seriously injured after being hit by van in Redditch

Police continue to hunt Bournville driver more than a week after man killed in collision

Police are continuing to make inquiries to trace the driver of a red Ford Focus, which hit a tree and killed a passenger on Linden Road, Bournville, on October 2

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/

David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Mum rages as neighbour blocks her in for 13 hours - meaning daughter misses play date

Stacey Campbell says her neighbour wants to park directly outside his house.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mum-rages-neighbour-...

David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

sounds like this chancer is trying to get Mr Tesco to fix his car...

Tesco shopper raging after crashing into new trolley bay he 'couldn't see'

The consumer says they are so short he couldn't even see them.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/tesco-shopper-raging-...

ktache replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Looking is an active task.

This bloke is pretty much admitting he cannot drive.

Pages

Latest Comments