Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Pro-cycling article on BBC

//i.imgur.com/BcEOXXm.png)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53105020

Quote:

So for now, Jude is hoping the pop-up cycle lanes will become a permanent fixture in Leicester. "They're fantastic to get around the city," she says. "I just wonder why the council have never done it before."

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

ktache | 3 years ago
3 likes

A fine find as it is such a rare thing.

And not a mention of the "H" word...

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes

I know right? Maybe the Beeb are changing their narrative, but I'll wait for some more data points first.

Sriracha replied to ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes

Excellent article. It spells it out; lots of people wanting to cycle but only if they feel safe, fed up with being confined to just tow paths.

The sad thing is, despite all the noise about pop up cycle lanes etc, Sustrans is only aware of  changes "to more than 270 streets so far". Set that against the tens of thousands of towns in the Uk.

Meanwhile Worcestershire County Council clearly does not understand. It "has submitted a bid for emergency government funding for measures including new marked cycle lanes using dashed white lines..

mdavidford replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
1 like

Also rather sad if those were the best examples they could find to illustrate it: one that assumes any cycles will be approaching on the shared path and obstructs access for anyone already on the road; a weird yellow strip that appears to no precisely nowhere; and the last one might be just about ok, but could really be more spacious to accommodate two-way cycling.

Latest Comments