Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Maybe the Prof was right after all!

Recent conversations reminded me of this story. I thought it was a bit far fetched at the time, but maybe he was on to something?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/road.cc/content/news/255946-professor-likens-anti-helmet-advocates-climate-change-deniers%3famp

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Luca Patrono | 4 years ago
1 like

A good old fashioned helmet argument you say?

Well, I was definitely glad for mine two days ago when my left foot came unclipped on a hill start, shot into the front wheel and trashed a good few spokes before one wedged itself between sole and cleat, pushing my foot into the fork and making me do a rather embarrassing flip onto my head and shoulders in the middle of Ilkley. That's all I'll say :^)

hawkinspeter replied to Luca Patrono | 4 years ago
0 likes

Luca Patrono wrote:

A good old fashioned helmet argument you say? Well, I was definitely glad for mine two days ago when my left foot came unclipped on a hill start, shot into the front wheel and trashed a good few spokes before one wedged itself between sole and cleat, pushing my foot into the fork and making me do a rather embarrassing flip onto my head and shoulders in the middle of Ilkley. That's all I'll say :^)

Look, until you've got a graph of foot/spoke collisions and correlations with SPD vs SPD-SL cleats, we're not interested.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
4 likes

I'm scared. I love helmets. Ordered a helmet from Wiggle as well as a bike bag to travel bought bike with. Having paid Australian tax, my statement regarding that I was importing into Australia and goods were merely routing via my tourism residential moment.
Didn't stick, a want of nearly twice local tax to fill paperwork (tax +80%tax in paperwork) I denied.. Sending back to Wiggle.
Then they wanted paperwork to return. They rang back, I'd won that argument, reading reads goods will be returned if Vat not paid.

As per climate change.. A bit of wool over the eyes appears to be sight of site. We are like children. We are humans. Earth is a bigger entity. Mother earth. As a young child, without mothering, we would have grown weak on choice of diet, etc. Mother earth.
The star is also entity. She sleeps soon. I noticed this city varies between -20&40 ℃. NASA report star sleep at 2030 year.
We might want to mother earth you dumb arses.

A royal tale.

The king wanted to go fishing, and he asked the royal weather forecaster the forecast for the next few hours.

The palace meteorologist assured him that there was no chance of rain.

So the king and the queen went fishing.

On the way he met a man with a fishing pole riding on a donkey, and he asked the man if the fish were biting.

The fisherman said, "Your Majesty, you should return to the palace!

In just a short time I expect a huge rain storm."

The king replied: "I hold the palace meteorologist in high regard. He is an educated and experienced professional.

Besides, I pay him very high wages.

He gave me a very different forecast.

I trust him."

So the king continued on his way.

However, in a short time a torrential rain fell from the sky. The King and Queen were totally soaked.

Furious, the king returned to the palace and gave the order to fire the meteorologist.

Then he summoned the fisherman and offered him the prestigious position of royal forecaster.

The fisherman said, "Your Majesty, I do not know anything about forecasting.

I obtain my information from my donkey.

If I see my donkey's ears drooping, it means with certainty that it will rain."

So the king hired the donkey.

And thus began the practice of hiring dumb asses to work in influential positions of government.

The practice is unbroken to this day.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

First, here's a non-amp version of that link: https://road.cc/content/news/255946-professor-likens-anti-helmet-advocates-climate-change-deniers

Now, in terms of conspiracy theories, I can see the connections between someone not going along with the mainstream climate change theory and someone not agreeing with the mainstream helmets save lives theory. However, I think there's a substantial difference between the two.

As a very broad simplification, climate change theory is largely backed by statistical evidence and a typical denier would use anecdotes such as "it was raining on Wednesday, so it's not getting warmer". Helmet sceptics however want to see good quality statistical evidence on the effect that helmets have and helmet advocates typically rely on anecdotes e.g. "that helmet definitely saved their life".

Personally, I like to think of myself as very open minded and my current position is that climate change is happening and is mainly caused by human activity and helmets provide very limited protection and should not be used as any part of a cycle safety scheme due to the risk compensation effects etc.

Now, let's get down to a good old fashioned helmet argument.

ConcordeCX replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

First, here's a non-amp version of that link: https://road.cc/content/news/255946-professor-likens-anti-helmet-advocates-climate-change-deniers

Now, in terms of conspiracy theories, I can see the connections between someone not going along with the mainstream climate change theory and someone not agreeing with the mainstream helmets save lives theory. However, I think there's a substantial difference between the two.

As a very broad simplification, climate change theory is largely backed by statistical evidence and a typical denier would use anecdotes such as "it was raining on Wednesday, so it's not getting warmer". Helmet sceptics however want to see good quality statistical evidence on the effect that helmets have and helmet advocates typically rely on anecdotes e.g. "that helmet definitely saved their life".

Personally, I like to think of myself as very open minded and my current position is that climate change is happening and is mainly caused by human activity and helmets provide very limited protection and should not be used as any part of a cycle safety scheme due to the risk compensation effects etc.

you're out of touch with the zeitgeist and will probably be lynched by straw-sucking peasants who've had enough of experts telling them things they don't want to hear.

hawkinspeter replied to ConcordeCX | 4 years ago
0 likes

ConcordeCX wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

you're out of touch with the zeitgeist and will probably be lynched by straw-sucking peasants who've had enough of experts telling them things they don't want to hear.

I know, right?

I also detest reality TV (it's just an easy, cheap and lazy way of producing content) and really hate the 'cult of personality' that seems to be popular (I suspect that it's always been popular).

Alan Moore wrote:

Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense.

Latest Comments