Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour Of Flanders

Nick Nuyens I now dislike you  20

Nick Nuyens
Sylvain Chavanel
Fabian Cancellara
Tom Boonen
Sebastian Langeveld
George Hincapie

Top 6, Decent race, but Cancellara just did to much on the front in the end

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think Chavanel could i rode away from Cancellara at points if he had not been waiting for Boonen to catch up, i think Quickstep make a tactical mistake

Should have just told Chavanel to go for it, even in the home straight he was still looking behind for Boonen to get on his wheel

I was all excited for Chavenel to win until i noticed it was Sylviain and not Seb i had in my line up  2

sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes

Speaking of in-car video, did anyone else notice the Lotto DS telling the Leopard DS that Chavanel couldn't help beacuse Cancellara was just too strong, but a bit later on he was talking to Chavanel, leaning out of the window pointing at Cancellara's wheel and obviously saying stay on it and don't ride?

I wonder how those cameras will affect relations between Directors Sportif.

Gkam84 replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

Speaking of in-car video, did anyone else notice the Lotto DS telling the Leopard DS that Chavanel couldn't help beacuse Cancellara was just too strong, but a bit later on he was talking to Chavanel, leaning out of the window pointing at Cancellara's wheel and obviously saying stay on it and don't ride?

I wonder how those cameras will affect relations between Directors Sportif.

I did see that, but if it was the other way round it would just be the same, all part of the games you play when racing

step-hent replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I did see that, but if it was the other way round it would just be the same, all part of the games you play when racing

Zactly - thought the cameras were a brilliant addition, bringing to life the tactics that everyone knows go on behind the scenes. It was a bit like Wacky Races at times - brilliant.

I was personally disappointed that Cancellara didn't get away at the very end when he turned it on again - he showed not only incredible strength but character and real style in the way he rode. But fair play to a) Chavanel, for a great ride out front before Canc got there and for playing it very well tactically after that b) Gilbert, for just being an incredibly exciting, competitive racer and c) Boonen, for giving it one last attempt at the death and keeping up the suspense until the line. All made for a cracking race to watch.

Can't wait for Roubaix now...

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

unless he comes back in of course  1

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Would it be unreasonable to suggest that Philippe Gilbert has been a bit of a let down this classics campaign? Interesting to see that he is currently not on the start list for PR, which saves me the decision about whether to drop him.

rcs500 replied to Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well, he's been getting decent points due to being in the top 20. But he's so expensive! Even more so than Cancellara for the Ronde.

Jack Osbourne snr | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thought I had both Chavanel & Boonen in the points and was heading for a major score and a hike up the table... sadly, SEBASTIEN Chavanel didn't finish on the podium.  20 D'OH

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh yeah, i got myself confused there aswell  26

Yeah with their stance just now it doesn't look likely, but they should still put the camera's in the car and let us see

Specially after the "sticky bottle" i saw where the driver was struggling to hold onto the rider as high speed

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

That wasn't an experiment for the UCI, they dont own or run the tour of Flanders, nothing to do with them so the race can do what they like

Or so Eurosport told me today

Simon_MacMichael replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

That wasn't an experiment for the UCI, they dont own or run the tour of Flanders, nothing to do with them so the race can do what they like

Or so Eurosport told me today

Okay, you've got me confused. You said above it's a "shame the UCI don't do something like that for the tours" - but they don't own or run those, either. My comment was about the UCI supporting it, not who might have been responsible.

Fact is, there has been a positive reaction to it from comments I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere, and the UCI could be a prime mover in ensuring that this was a feature of coverage in top-level events, irrespective of who owns and runs the races. But that's not going to happen with their current stance on radios.

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

David Harmon and Sean Kelly on Eurosport are pretty good at calling a race, but to hear Jonathan Vaughters actually tell Farrar and Hushovd to sit in the group and not attack was interesting.

Definitely added an extra dimension being able to hear the team managers etc, and it was one of the 10 points Vaughters put forward to improve cycling. Given the UCI wants to ban radios at all races (only World Calendar events have them now) I can't see them being behind any repeat of the experiment.

Cyclisme - Chavanel was like a limpet to Cancellara after he'd passed him, I think the handshake between the two ahead of the closing couple of km was a kind of 'may the best man win' after the efforts both had put in at the head of the race.

cyclisme123 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I saw it live. Shame I couldn't understand what they were saying. And Cancellara looked like he was helping Sylvain Chavanel for the final 10k. What was that about?
FABIAN CANCELLARA  12

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Also, anyone else watch it live?

I loved the radio and in car video from some of the teams, shame the UCI dont do something like that for the tours

Latest Comments