Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

End of season

Stop the count!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Mery Alex | 3 years ago
0 likes

Congratulations to those who have won season-long competitions. Hope this can keep going to a new step.

Condor Andy | 3 years ago
2 likes

Thanks everyone for another good season! Let's hope next year will be a bit more normal. I don't know about you, but two grand tours and classics on at the same time was a bit stressful, fun, but stressful. Congrats to all winners and hope to see you all again next year!

Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Congratulations to those who have won season long competitions.  I know just how many decisions that takes and with such a compressed season the ability to keep up with simultaneous competitions.

It is ridiculous how much of a boost you can get from a good result on a single day when it is really just a piece of fun.

Playing and following sport can be such a release from the pressures of life.  

Enjoy the off seasion and lets hope it gets going again in the northern hemisphere spring.

Sniffer replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
1 like

Oh and thanks to Dave, Andy and others who do the work in the background to make this possible,

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
1 like

I was in a twitter chat on Carlton Kirby's twitter thing the night before the last stage. I wrote that cycling had been great because it resembled something close to normal life, unlike lots of other sports and events, and I include the fantasy game in that. I was amazed when he read it out in the commentary during the stage and they went on to chat about that fact for a while with Sean Kelly....Never gonna take normal for granted ever again. 

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

I heard that bit.  Didn't realise it was you. 

My club had a shout out from Brian Smith a few years back.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, it was. It was a general thank you chat to the folk at Eurosport for bringing us the coverage...he must have liked the fact that I said it was something closely resembling normality. I watch the football with my son but that's the opposite...empty stadiums just looks so fake, and frankly, sad.

11waterloo replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

It does feel a bit strange today with no cycling to watch or game related decisions to be made! It has been quite an intense second half to the season - hopefully next season will play out over a slightly more relaxed timeframe. 

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

You must have been a bag of nerves with Tony catching you at that speed. 

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

It was terrifying! I'd come within 50 points or so of losing the lead earlier in the summer but this was a different level - partly because it was so near the end but mostly because of who it was! I went through so many scenarios for selection on the last stage knowing he could do anything up to 8 transfers. In the end we only had one rider different but he still took 10 points off me to leave my lead at 14! 

0 likes

He's so damned good at this game. He's the first one I look at to see what transfers he did. You did brilliant to beat him...you looked out of sight at one point. 

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you, but I do still feel I am punching above my weight, a bit like a breakaway rider who just held off a rampaging peloton. Ever since I started playing about 3 years ago, Mountain Renegade has set the standard and happy though I currently am, I am under no illusions.

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
1 like

Been a bit awol this week due to father in law getting Covid (back in March) and now being close to the end. Sad times. 

Happy with this year. Won the classics game, won the purist game and fifth in standard game (again). Happy days. 

Also. I got a mention in the commentary today from Carlton Kirby during the stage, I nearly fell off my chair when my name came up. 

Thanks to everybody who keeps this game going, it must have been a real slog these past few weeks for you. As I said last year I'm somewhat stuck in with my son with special needs so this game, and Eurosport, make a great combination for filling my days...and that matters...a lot. Thank you. 

tony kappler | 3 years ago
2 likes

Congratulations to 11waterloo, well done, (yes, I am also glad when the season is over; a lot of pressure there) and to Dr Winston in the purist league. (I can never work out why I am so bad at purist).

A huge thank you to Condor Andy for the work he does setting up games and scoring, and to Dave for keeping the game running. (best ever).

Stay safe and well and enjoy Christmas. Cheers

11waterloo | 3 years ago
1 like

Well, I rather fell over the line there - a less than 0.1% margin over the maestro, Mountain Renegade, who came after me like a Great White Shark  towards the end. I will borrow his crown until normal service resumes next season! I have had so many players snapping at my heels since I went ahead at Paris-Nice that my wife has become immune to me ranting about, at various times, Sniffer, Dr Winston, Aragonite and most recently Mountain Renegade! I know none of you but I have thoroughly enjoyed playing against all of you (now that it is over!). Congratulations are also due to Dr Winston who, quite frankly, gave us all a lesson in the purist league. The biggest thank you must go to you guys who run the game.We take it for granted that everything runs smoothly and it must take a huge amount of time and effort. Here's hoping for a more settled world next year, allowing the cycling calendar to play out normally, for us to resume the game and for our biggest worry to be 'which Astana rider is going in the break tomorrow?' (Answer - never Fraile when I pick him) 

tony kappler | 3 years ago
1 like

I had to smile at your comment Waterloo. I've looked over my shoulder all year for a few years; its very wearing; much better to surge towards the end.

I might go for broke and put in 8 sprinters; then again I might do no transfers and hope that the 20 man breakaway stays away.

Iv'e found it an unsatifying Vuelta. Maybe Iv'e overthought it; always a day early or a day late with key riders.

I hope next cycling season goes better, for the riders and the world. We have been very lucky here in Australia, due to quick action from the government and our isolation and keeping borders closed; we are averaging less than 10 Covid cases a day nationwide at the moment.

Cheers to all. Stay well.

11waterloo replied to tony kappler | 3 years ago
1 like

I've not played the Vuelta well either, I think the pressure has got to me. I will be relieved when it's all over and I can go back to mid-table anonymity! 
I echo your wishes for a more normal season next year, this year has been odd to say the least! Anyway....one last set of transfers and fingers crossed  I am Roglic in Madrid today  ( though I fear I will be Roglic on La Planche des Belles Filles) 

teckert replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Start of the world tour next year has already been disrupted with the Tour Down Under and Cadel Evans race cancelled. Disappointing for us here in Australia!

Dr Winston replied to teckert | 3 years ago
0 likes

Aye. I posted on another site that it doesn't bode well for sport in general for you. Only three WT teams were interested due to the possibility of two weeks quarantine going out there and two weeks coming back. Many other sports people will be thinking the same. 

11waterloo replied to teckert | 3 years ago
0 likes

Fair point. I guess a lot of global sports will have tough decisions to make. The irony is that Australia is one of the safest places to be currently! 

1 like

Yeah, they don't look like they're gonna let their guard down though. We could learn a lot from them and NZ.

Gkam84 | 3 years ago
2 likes

NO, only count the LEGAL points. If it wasn't for those points I'd have won 

Latest Comments