Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gordon Ramsey accident

That bruising is the worst I've seen. I hope he recovers soon. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1002z9vne3o.amp

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

chrisonabike | 1 week ago
0 likes

Clearly not a "hard news" day - but apart from the tenuous father's day connection you wonder why they've run this?

chrisonabike | 1 week ago
0 likes

He looks seriously tenderised there - ouch! Hopefully better soon.

Wonder how he did that?

marmotte27 | 1 week ago
0 likes

https://www.theguardian.com/food/article/2024/jun/16/gordon-ramsay-lucky...

I thought about writing to the Guardian editor asking them to stop spreading baseless helmet-saved-my-life claims and everyone-should-wear-them appeals, but it seems it would be pretty pointless judging from here: https://www.theguardian.com/info/2013/sep/23/guardian-readers-editor

Mr Hoopdriver | 1 week ago
6 likes

Annoyingly he turned it into a helmet warning without any context.

Bruised torso (and it dooes look nasty BTW), wear a helmet ?

At least tell us WHY he thinks he wouldn't be here and how the helmet would have saved him.

Disclaimer - I wear always wear a helmet now - even if I'm just nipping to the shops.  As I've got older my reactions have dulled and my neck muscles aren't as strong and the the last couple of getoffs have resulted in my head clipping the floor - one incident (I was blown off by a gust of wind) requiring 13 stitches.  I think falling to the floor is the only bit of my cycling that has got faster as I've got older.

David9694 | 1 week ago
4 likes

Oh God, another helmet evangelist. I haven't seen the video, so far it's light on any detail of what happened. 

Helmets are fine for overhanging branches and brambles, and that off you suffer from that patch of wet leaves/ loose gravel. Not going to help you much if there's a car involved. 

Fortuntate for him that he can afford to go to the emergency room. 

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 week ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

Oh God, another helmet evangelist. I haven't seen the video, so far it's light on any detail of what happened. 

Helmets are fine for overhanging branches and brambles, and that off you suffer from that patch of wet leaves/ loose gravel. Not going to help you much if there's a car involved. 

There's no mention of another vehicle, so I reckon it might well have been some loose gravel. Even so, there's other lessons rather than just "wear a helmet", but that's what the MSM wants to publish. ("Listen Gordon, you might want to tell people about fast descents on unknown roads, but we're only going to print it if you make it about helmets instead")

stonojnr replied to hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
2 likes

looks like a Spec Roubaix he was riding, possibly on some off road trail his helmet doesnt look that badly damaged fwiw, just road rash damage imo,and to bruise his side like that, he must have hit a solid object, like a tree trunk or a wall or some kind of mound sticking up, if the bike just went under him and he landed on the ground, it would be knee hip and shoulder injuries, been there done that got the scars to prove it.

so whatever he has hit impacted his side whilst his arm had moved away from that side, maybe to instinctively protect his face in the collision.

certainly his helmet didnt save him

mattw replied to hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

David9694 wrote:

There's no mention of another vehicle, so I reckon it might well have been some loose gravel. Even so, there's other lessons rather than just "wear a helmet", but that's what the MSM wants to publish. ("Listen Gordon, you might want to tell people about fast descents on unknown roads, but we're only going to print it if you make it about helmets instead")

He did, however, call it a "collision" iirc.

What we are missing is an account of events, and context.

It could be he was barrelling down a hill in a tribar hunch and lost control, or a car pulled out, or an Usual-for-USA undertrained driver hit him.

We can't judge.

Latest Comments