Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

IAM Letters Page At It Again

While I appreciate what IAM attempt to do for driving standards, it seems to me that someone at the top really doesn't like cyclists. 10 years ago they actually had a cycling division and published a cycling handbook.

Anyway, they've just let another Nigelesque letter through their letters page. Amusingly accompanied by a picture of a cyclist in Hi-Viz.

Fancy helping composing a witty reply?

Be safe, be seen

Cyclists' lack of concern for their safety worries me; whilst most wear helmets, too many
wear dark clothing. The Highway Code advises wearing reflective accessories, fitting white front and red rear lights etc, but most riders fail to do this. Why are they allowed to contravene the law that is for their own safety? Cyclists have every right to expect other road users to look out for them, yet they are not prepared
to comply with a legal requirement to keep them safe.

Lawrence Walton

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

wtjs | 1 year ago
4 likes

It's not necessary to comment on a stupid letter displayed on a stupid website designed for stupid people (I can think of a better word for A in IAM), but I'll give it a go. 

https://upride.cc/incident/px68nhc_toyotatrailer_redlightcross/

The Highway Code is pretty definite about stopping for amber and red lights, but there are still loads of drivers who don't do it- that's a 'must', if there are any IAM ****holes reading this.

Sriracha | 1 year ago
3 likes

Lawrence Walton does not grasp the difference between "should" and "must" in the Highway Code. Cyclists are not under a "legal requirement" to protect themselves against dangers presented by motorists, well meaning though such advice may be.

When motorists endanger cyclists it is the motorists who "contravene the law".

It is worrying that IAM members hold such views, since inevitably it feeds into the idea that cyclists are outside the law, bring the dangers upon themselves, and have no one to blame but themselves.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
3 likes

Screenshot!

chrisonabike replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
4 likes

With those black shorts, legally his arse isn't covered...

Mungecrundle replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
2 likes

You sure that's not the Letterbocks page off of Viz magazine?

Latest Comments