Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Road Rider

Greetings all. Last year purchased a MTB thinking I was going to spend more time in trails. Turns out I enjoyed my time more on the road as I traveled to the trails. Decided to pick a used road bike back in July and been hooked ever since. Started with 10 mile rides, then 20, then 30, and last weekend I completed an event that was a 55 mile ride with some reasonable hills.

The bike I purchased was what appears to be a 2012 Giant TCR, full carbon, 105 10 spd groupset. However, the frame was a manufacturer warranty replacement in 2020 and was never used since being replaced. Have replaced the handlebars, stem, tape, saddle, peddles, tubes tires and rim tape. Love the bike, although its most certainly at least 1 size too large. It's a M/L and I should really be a M or maybe even a S. I've made it work with the shortened stem and reduced reach & drop on the new bars. I enjoy it, but know I can definitely get more efficient power on a better fit.

The plan is the sell it in the spring and purchase a new ride that is correctly fit.

Really want to try and find a local group to be able to ride with. Most of my rides are by myself except the occasion my coworker joins. Love the alone time, but also enjoy having someone to push me during the ride.

Anyway, that's my intro. I plan to use this forum for questions as I learn more about riding, bikes, gear, etc.

Thank you!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

peted76 | 6 months ago
1 like

Welcome SROCCO112! 

Go to British Cycling website they have a club finder, there are loads out there, try all you can until you find the one which suits you. 

Cugel | 6 months ago
1 like

Hello Sroc,

Cycling!  Good innit.   1

You can get a lot out of riding with others, joining a club being the easiest way to do this if there are any clubs near enough to where you live. Some clubs can be a bit cliquish but many are welcoming and have different sections or runs for various levels of ability. But even if you go out with a group and tend to get dropped, just regard it as the stimulus to get fitter. You'll soon be sticking and perhaps dishing out the pain yourself, before too long.

Beware of bike fits, some of which might get you the right bike size/geometry but some of which will assume that you're already a racing snake, or ought to be, so you end up with a bike that gives you various body aches.

Generally, a slightly too small bike can be more easily configured to fit via seat post, stem and the like than the other way 'round. But ....

If you buy a bike with a top tube that slopes down a lot from head tube to seat tube (as Giant bikes tend to, for example) you can buy a bigger size than the "ideal" as you can still stand over the top tube yet configure various parts (e.g. seat post height and stem length/rise) so the bike fits well. 

A larger frame size can mean you have a more sat-up position, because of the taller head tube - although you may need a short stem to avoid over-stretching. In addition, a larger frame can also mean you won't suffer toe-overlap with the front wheel - although if that happens its not really much of an issue unless you do a lot of very slow speed U-turns.

if you find a good bike fit service, they'll take account of your body type and flexibility, so you should end up with a bike that's at least not going to give you back, neck, shoulder and knee ache. I don't know which might be good bike fit services and which not-so-good, never having had one myself. Trial and error, it was, for me. 

As I age, I'm finding the fit that used to suit no longer does so changes have to be made. There ain't no "right for everyone, at all times" fit. And what suits you today may not suit you in a year or two as you become more cycling proficient.

Latest Comments