Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paris - Nice

Opened relatively early cos solid startlist. But no doubt there will be changes. Something to think about all week. Remember that Tirreno runs next week also. Busy week.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Congratulations to Half Wheelers on winning Paris-Nice and denying me my elusive first stage race win (I'm not bitter..... honestly!) Inspired pick of Kragh Andersen pipped my Vansavenenant. Was second in this one last year and fifth the year before - definitely my best race. Alongside it, I am always terrible at Tirreno Adriatico! 

Sniffer replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have been the complete opposite, terrible in P-N and might have won T-A if my chosed sprinters had done slightly better on Sunday. Still third isn't bad.

I am always impressed with those that can turn out a good result in every week long stage races.

11waterloo replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
1 like

I noticed  you were right up there in T-A.  It's a strange one with the stage races - sometimes I just get into the rhythm of it and keep making the right calls. Equally, as with T-A, I can find myself sinking with bad transfer after bad transfer. Enric Mas crashing when well placed just about summed T-A up for me. Next year I'll do P-N for you & you can do my T-A, it won't be a problem as I'm used to running multiple accounts 😂😂😂

Condor Andy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Slights delay in updating PN today as there's been a glitch in the matrix.

Jolly28 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think in situations like what happened with the glitch, nullification should only occur if the previous stage is obviously different from the affected stage.

For example...a flat stage to a tt or mountain

If the stages are similar, flat to flat, hilly to hilly, mountain to mountain? Then points should be made to stand.
Is the game not designed so that players anticipate the stages well ahead?

Condor Andy replied to Jolly28 | 2 years ago
1 like

In more modern times of Covid, players often wait until the last minute to make transfers in case there are pull outs. Case in point today at Paris-Nice with 18 non-starters due to various illnesses.

And with this glitch, the game was down for over 12 hours prior to the deadline. So what you're suggesting would be especially harsh to people further east who would have woken up and had the game down all day.

11waterloo replied to Jolly28 | 2 years ago
1 like

I can see your point of view as P-N was a similar stage & I was planning no transfers when the glitch struck. T-A was a time trial to sprint so that would have needed transfers. The problem for me is that once you start trying to decide which are cancelled and which aren't it adds a subjective element as it is not always black & white ( ie P-N was a flat sprint to a much tougher sprint). I think the only answer was to nullify both stages to eliminate any subjectivity.

Dr Winston replied to Jolly28 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I understand what you're saying... but also... I think it's such a one off that maybe we just accept a single day of a can of worms and move on... obviously if it happens again in short order then it's a problem. 

11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Wow, 18 non starters today. I suspect a few purist teams are going to be a bit depleted! Just Trentin gone for me.

Pete Cuzz | 2 years ago
0 likes

The computer problems continue! Players being removed from roster when they're still racing!

Surely due to yesterday's glitch, not only should the stage scores be nullified (unfortunate as I got 140) but the transfers should as well? As this is now penalising those players that were able to make transfers. The ones that couldn't have not used any allowance!!

Condor Andy replied to Pete Cuzz | 2 years ago
1 like

Other posts and comments have mentioned we tried to only score the purist, but we couldn't make it work. All the removed riders are back in now and the stage scores have been nullified. There's nothing we can do about the transfers unfortunately. I made some that were wasted too.

11waterloo replied to Condor Andy | 2 years ago
1 like

I'm sure I speak for the majority of us punters in appreciating what you chaps who run the game did to navigate us through the computer glitch. It is impossible to keep everyone happy (and, yes, I lost out in P-N standard) BUT you have sorted it out with as little disruption as possible and we only missed one days play. Lots to be grateful for!

sibrown4 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Getting a load of emails re changes to rosters from bothe competitions which if true they have all pulled out!

Condor Andy replied to sibrown4 | 2 years ago
1 like

Just a temp fix for yesterday's purist scoring, your riders will be back.

11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

OK , I'll be first with the hard luck stories... wasn't making any changes for P-N today & would have had 1,2,3,4,6&9 - plus Laporte would have picked up a minimum 10 for keeping yellow.! Bloody computers.........

11waterloo replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thats 186 points...... grrrrrrrrr. 

Condor Andy replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

I brought Pedersen in. Would have had an alright day. Oh well, one of those things.

11waterloo replied to Condor Andy | 2 years ago
0 likes

I would probably have been rubbish in T-A to balance it up! It's a long old season so will soon be forgotten.

0 likes

I was going to have a moan, but you woudd have done better than me.

No planned transfers for this stage of P-N and would have had 1,2,3&4.

11waterloo replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

But as I predicted, my T-A score would have been rubbish! Swings and roundabouts I guess. 

0 likes

I would have had the winner, Ewan and GC points from Ganna and Evenepoel.

As you say, swings and roundabouts.

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

I was going with two transfers....Jakobsen and Groenewegen out and two of Ghirmay, Laporte or Matthew Holmes in.... I was awaiting Trentin news which could have changed things though.
These stages should have been tailor made for Trentin but being on the deck obviously was a problem to him. 
So I had the first four and Capiot.... I suspect I would have gone Laporte and Matthew Holmes...  Holmes may actually turn out the best pick of the three... eventually... or maybe not. 

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Trentin has been my only disappointment so far (had him in from start) but a hard fall is bound to impact on his performance.

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

The first three stages were almost made for him... and Colbrelli...I had them both. 

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

Me too, had planned to make no transfers first 3 stages. Packed team with tough sprinters. Colbrelli getting sick scuppered that but would still have been pretty close to top without yesterday's mishap.

Gecko-cyclist | 2 years ago
2 likes

Very unprofessional Stage 1 from Jumbo Visma. Don't they know you have to finish a team time trial with 4 men? 😉

Dr Winston replied to Gecko-cyclist | 2 years ago
1 like

It's all bonkers stuff from them. One of the very top GC rides, one of the best cyclo crossers/punchers and a sprinter finishing 1/2/3 in a time trial drag finish. 
How can anybody plan against that?... and sensational...

Condor Andy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Moved the deadling an hour earlier for the next 3 stages. Eitehr the timings changed or something went wrong because the last 5 stages were all correct.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

QST team has changed slightly (confirmed). 

11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

It's nice (or should it be Nice) to have a few days to play with the starting line-up. Will still find myself tinkering with 10 minutes to go though.........

Pages

Latest Comments