Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour Down Under 2023

Preparation is underway.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
1 like

A very interesting race.

I thought the course looked more puncheur friendly than in previous years but the climbers dominated the race. Although the weather conditions during the prologue possibly decided the winner.

Next up we have puncheurs v sprinters in Geelong.

Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

Happy "new year" (season?) folks.

Agonised over the decision until the last minute, then I dropped Dennis for Bauhaus yesterday!  Feck!  At least my hunch that Bettiol isn't really on form was right.

Didn't see it, but it looks like the sprinters were pretty close to catching the late attackers. Well-designed stage.  This is where the big calls are made in the game.

Similarly, tough call for the next stage.  Late short but steep hill.

MinardiM189 replied to Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

The next stage is a regular finish on the Tour Down Under. Similar to today with a tough late climb "the Corkscrew" but with an even shorter distance from the summit to the finish.

Daniel Norton replied to MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Looks like it should suit an Ardennes type rider.

MinardiM189 replied to Daniel Norton | 1 year ago
0 likes

Like today some climbers will probably build a gap on the hill and thenit is a matter of whether puncheurs can catch them before the finish.

MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I am amazed I went up the leaderboard after that stage.

Luckily very few people picked Bauhaus.

1 change for the next stage as Meeus is out of the race with concussion.

11waterloo | 1 year ago
0 likes

Came down to Bettiol or Schachmann for my final pick and I picked wrong. Bettiol had said he was here for training and the team focus was on Honore and Quinn but that will presumably change now! Was also a bit unlucky with a bargain £3 million Van Dijke - was well set for a top ten before falling right at the end. New season and I'm already moaning about my luck! 

MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
0 likes

The weather playing its part already.

It is going to be a difficult week for EF defending Bettiol's lead.

It will be interesting to see whether Ineos decide to ride for Sheffield or allow Plapp & Ethan Hayter some freedom.

Unfortunately I picked Plapp over Sheffield in both my teams.

Sniffer replied to MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Unfortunately I picked Plapp over Sheffield in both my teams.

Me too.  Playing catch up already!

indecision

Late change betwenn the two INEOS riders and it didn't work out.

runaroundsioux | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yes, welcome back everyone.

Its a pleasure to be able to have a race that actually runs on Aussie time !!!!! No late nights worrying about late scratching

Good luck for the season ahead everyone ... oh and Tony "we are coming for you" 

jollygoodvelo | 1 year ago
0 likes

Can't wait, good luck everyone.

I've put together a first-cut team, can't seem to find Richie Porte this year?  3

Dr Winston replied to jollygoodvelo | 1 year ago
0 likes

He'll be riding up Willunga all on his own.

MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Luckily I just twigged that the race starts with a prologue and not a flat sprint.

tony kappler replied to MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Welcome back Minardi; its been a 3 year absence hasn't it?; missed your competitive play.

Yes, first time trial ever, but they are doing it on road bikes to save cost of bike transport. The 5km stage length is a hint.

Stuart O'Grady has designed and is running the race. Different, but similar routes; there is only so far you can ride from Adelaide before hitting semi desert. Richie Porte has retired, so no Willunga Hill.

MinardiM189 replied to tony kappler | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks Tony,

My last game was pre covid in early 2020, after that season disappeared I lost touch with cycling racing.

It will be interesting to see how I get on as I don't know anything about most of the riders competing nowadays.

Interesting race to start with, will the sprinters make it over the hills in Stage 1 & 2 and will the wind play a part. The forecast looks like there could be echelons and there were echelons today in the women's race.

Good luck to everyone.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Welcome back Minardi. Echelons on the cards for sure.... at least a possibility. Best to go with the highest owned picks for the long game.. or else a great chance to win by picking a few outsiders. I can hardly believe that Ineos team.. fantastic... I'd love Leo Hayter to make a mockery of his odds.

Latest Comments