Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

VOLTA CATALUNYA

It seems a fairly weak field of both GC riders and sprinters. Budget reduced accordingly.  Very late startlist.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

richliv | 2 years ago
0 likes

Disappointed they didn't go up the Col De Coustouges over the border from Spain. It's a long long drag from Figueras up the border and not massively steep but having done it a few times, would have been really interested to see how the pros do it. 3x speed no doubt. But it's also a more interesting and scenic route to Perpignan from Escala.

tony kappler | 2 years ago
0 likes

I suddenly realised that daylight saving starts today in Europe, which means that both Cat stg 7 and Gent deadlines are after race start. I haven't changed deadlines cos I thought it would be a bit tough on players, since we tend to leave tranfsers to the last minute these days. So the onus is on you to do transfers before race start.

Daniel Norton replied to tony kappler | 2 years ago
0 likes

Ok, so if loads of you have a breakaway rider or two, then we know your game.

Dr Winston replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Did mine last night for once. I can't do right for doing wrong.

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
1 like

I've literally no idea how tomorrow pans out. That one second between Almeida and Quintana really complicates things potentially... as does Tobias's quest for bonus seconds today. 
Sprint? Breakaway? GC punch up at the intermediates and finish?...maybe all three rolled into one. 
Might sit on my hands for once. 

Daniel Norton replied to Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

I did.  There is a small chance of a sprint, and the bad weather could change the whole race on its head before the final stage.

0 likes

What happened to Bagioli today?... heavily fancied (as he is tomorrow) and a total no show at +23 minutes. Hard to trust if anybody is ill, or not. 

0 likes

Yep, a bit of a lottery all round - even more so in the Purist.  Quickstep seem to be the complete sick-note team ATM.

0 likes

Ha. I ducked out of him because I was wondering if he was ill... and went for Poels instead. Oh, my days.

0 likes

The lottery continues....

I kept Groves on stage 6 because I thought there might be a sprint (which there was for third).  The only trouble was, I was going to bring Carapaz in for him if I made a change 'cos I knew he likes the "cold" and wet.  Doh!

I just haven't managed to get the luck...  Yet.  My Purist campaign is practically over already.  Every time I select a rider, they seem to get ill or crash.  It's like magic.

0 likes

Yeah, it's been really tricky. I haven't seen anything that's actually said why so many are falling ill... have you? I really don't recall a time when so many have been laid low. 

0 likes

I've never seen anything like it.

Apparently there is a stealth variant of COVID.  That might be part of it.  It doesn't come up in normal PCR tests (and I can't see teams desperately wanting to find it for obvious reasons).  With the Omicron variant, gut problems are linked.  Long COVID symptoms.  That combined with lack of regular immunity to viruses from isolating so much for two years?

0 likes

What about back room staff?... surely they should also have been dropping like flies as well... have they?

0 likes

Maybe they have been ill.  But there is ill for a regular worker, then there is being well enough to work but still too sick to be an elite athlete.

11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

It always makes me smile when you get a 'roster change' email relating to the purist game. It's as if the game is taunting you for being so stupid as to think that Simon Yates would last more than three days! 

Condor Andy replied to 11waterloo | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I've often debated whether to leave everyone in purist and only remove riders from the standard game, but that would leave them in the game stage file. I wouldn't mind trying it though, think I might have already had a go in the last couple of years, but decided against it.

11waterloo replied to Condor Andy | 2 years ago
1 like

Don't worry about it. It is one of those things that is probably more hassle than it's worth to correct and it really doesn't bother me. It's nice to have the odd quirk in the game!

tony kappler | 2 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone know why the race organisers haven't recorded the final KOM cat 1 climb (ie the finish) in the overall KOM rankings?

Condor Andy replied to tony kappler | 2 years ago
0 likes

I noticed that too, and no idea. Doesn't affect the stage scores, only the KOM classification.

Condor Andy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Whoops I forgot to make any changes! Carry me Valverde and Higuita!

Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Anyone who doesn't have Porte in their Purist team is in luck!

Daniel Norton replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Anyone else have Yates, Woods, Porte and Valverde in their purist team?  They all looked like perfectly reasonable picks to me. yes

Condor Andy replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes all 4 

Daniel Norton replied to Condor Andy | 2 years ago
0 likes

All right, I admit Porte often gets sick or crashes (always a mini-gamble), but all four of them?  FFS!

Sniffer replied to Daniel Norton | 2 years ago
0 likes

Me too.  And the now departed Bling, but at least I got something in the first 2 stages.

Now, if only Ethan Vernon can win a sprint tomorrow.

Daniel Norton replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

I spent the whole of last Purist season, gradually catching up, I seem to remember.  I'd love to test myself by actually being in the running early on.

Not to self: Try not to forget to do my team in the main game and drop out of the overall this year.

Sniffer replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Well my purist team had the winner today...... rather it had been in my Standard team!

Daniel Norton replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
1 like

I went for Peñalver instead of Vernon for Purist.

Guess who had Molano in their Purist team. Carnage! 

0 likes

Definitely reasonable picks. I compromised on getting Woods and Porte in to have Bling... pffft... but had Yates and Valverde...

Dr Winston | 2 years ago
0 likes

... on the plus side... a few very cheap picks to grab our attention. 

Latest Comments