Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Updated: Tributes paid to Manchester cyclist killed in tram collision

Fatal crash happened in Wythenshawe at 7am on Tuesday morning

A cyclist has been killed following a collision involving a tram in Manchester this morning. The family of the victim, 51-year-old former soldier Martin Hughes, have paid tribute to him.

In a statement released via Greater Manchester Police (GMP), his brothers said: “Martin was a very private man and liked to keep himself to himself. He was a much loved brother, uncle and brother-in-law. He has lived all of his life around the South Manchester area.

“His family are very proud of his academic achievements having graduated from Bangor University with a BA Hons. Degree, he had also successfully completed post-graduate studies.

“Martin was a great lover of the outdoors and loved going for long walks in the countryside and hills around Greater Manchester and beyond, he was also a keen cyclist.

“He is a former Royal Green Jacket and was proud of his regiment.

“Martin had only recently started a new job having previously volunteered at a local Hospice shop.

“We are all devastated that he has been taken from us so suddenly.”

Chief Inspector Helen Caldbeck of GMP's City Centre Division said: "Our thoughts are with the family of the man at this tragic time.

"We are now working with Transport for Greater Manchester to investigate the circumstances surrounding this collision and our specialist officers will be supporting the man’s family and helping them to get the answers they deserve.

"Specialist officers are also supporting the driver of the tram to help him at this difficult time."

Anyone who has information should call police in the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 0161 856 4742 or the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) said in a statement earlier today that the fatal crash took place at around 7am close to the  Robinswood Road Metrolink stop in Wythenshawe.

Peter Cushing, TfGM's Metrolink Director, said: “I am devastated by this very tragic and sad news and would like to extend my thoughts and deepest sympathies to this man’s family and friends.

“While of absolutely no comfort to his loved ones, I want to make it clear that alongside us supporting the police inquiry in any way we can, a thorough operational investigation into the circumstances surrounding this collision will be undertaken.

“Support will also be provided to the driver and any other staff that may be affected by what’s happened.

“Due to the nature of this incident it would not be appropriate for me to make any further comment at this time,” he added.

Trams to and from Manchester Airport were suspended this morning while police investigated the scene.

Simon joined as news editor in 2009 and is now the site’s community editor, acting as a link between the team producing the content and our readers. A law and languages graduate, published translator and former retail analyst, he has reported on issues as diverse as cycling-related court cases, anti-doping investigations, the latest developments in the bike industry and the sport’s biggest races. Now back in London full-time after 15 years living in Oxford and Cambridge, he loves cycling along the Thames but misses having his former riding buddy, Elodie the miniature schnauzer, in the basket in front of him.

Latest Comments