Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Police issue cow warning after man seriously injured

//images.saatchiart.com/saatchi/2001207/art/9885877/8948805-XGFIUVTB-7.jpg)

After finding out that more people are killed by cows than by cyclists, maybe we should have a thread for cow related incidents?

Personally, I'm all in favour of cows being forced to have bells if their horns don't work.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/police-issue-cow-warning-after-9306446

Quote:

Derbyshire Police were alerted to reports of a man being trampled by cows in Shirland, a small village 19 miles northwest of Nottingham, at about 7:40am on Friday. The man was taken to hospital with "significant, serious injuries," although they are not believed to be life-threatening at this stage.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

mattw | 12 hours ago
1 like

Derbsyhire are going to be furious that Shirland is defined in relation to Nottingham !

Shirland used to have a good brass band; not sure about now.

hawkinspeter | 18 hours ago
1 like

Footage shared with the BBC shows a cow running loose on the streets of Surrey, and later getting to its feet after being struck by a police car.

Surrey Police said in a statement that after attempts to safely capture the cow “over a period of a number of hours” failed, “the decision was made to stop it using a police car”.

The cow was hit twice by a marked vehicle which the RSPCA said "appears disproportionate".

The force released a statement saying that the cow's owner had been located and its injuries assessed by a vet, who was overseeing its continued treatment and recovery.

It also said it would refer itself to the police complaints watchdog.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/c511ezjlmrro

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jun/15/surrey-police-face-criticism-after-using-car-to-ram-escaped-cow

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 18 hours ago
0 likes

Has the revolution started? I missed the announcement... first horses charging though the streets, now cows.

(Loose beasts all immediately lose against the horsepower and bull-bars of their replacements).

hawkinspeter replied to chrisonabike | 17 hours ago
1 like

chrisonabike wrote:

Has the revolution started? I missed the announcement... first horses charging though the streets, now cows. (Loose beasts all immediately lose against the horsepower and bull-bars of their replacements).

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 16 hours ago
2 likes

Four legs better?

mdavidford replied to hawkinspeter | 14 hours ago
3 likes

Join the moovement.

Hirsute | 1 week ago
2 likes

Why do cows have bells?

Because their GPS doesn't work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/crggxxk28g6o

chrisonabike replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
2 likes

Something something fifteen minute pastures...

Can we get that system in cars to guide drivers back off the pavements and cycle lanes?  Seems that the modern vehicle already has all the tech to make it happen, including plenty of electricity.

hawkinspeter | 1 week ago
3 likes

Trains cancelled between Exeter and Bristol due to cows on track:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/trains-cancelled-between-exeter-bristol-9318022

a1white | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

" Experts have called for new laws to protect the public from cows, claiming an increase in aggressive behaviour by cattle."

Imagine how dangerous a Cow on a bike would be? Surely a new Dangerous Cow law is required and some sort of licensing?

chrisonabike replied to a1white | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

Given the numbers why wasn't IDS campaigning for a new offense of "Causing death by dangerous droving"?

On the licencing - at least the ones I've seen tend to have number plates (in their ears) and presumably passed M.O.O.T.

hawkinspeter | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

//www.kentonline.co.uk/_media/img/750x0/2YR6VCK9QRDNBUL3TNO4.jpg)

Car crashes into building in Cow Lane in Wincheap at Canterbury (no cows or driver involved):

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/wincheap-car-crashes-into-wall-16656/

2 likes

Cow cuddling: Cognitive considerations in bovine-assisted therapy

https://www.cabidigitallibrary.org/doi/10.1079/hai.2024.0016

Quote:

“Koeknufflen” is the Dutch term that translates directly to mean “cow cuddling” or “cow hugging”. In the Netherlands, there is a tradition of traveling from the cities to the countryside to spend time with farm animals in order to decompress and emotionally recalibrate (McGiffin, 2022). Formally we would call this type of planned interaction between a human and an animal, for therapeutic gains, an animal-assisted interaction (AAI) (Fine et al., 2013). The Dutch have long known about the psychological and physiological benefits of spending time with cattle, yet the vast majority of research into AAIs is based on companion therapy animals (dogs, cats, etc.) and in formal therapeutic settings.

I've been close to the cows on Lundy Island and they are scarily massive - they're not at all aggressive, but I think I'd be very cautious about hugging them.

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 2 weeks ago
1 like

Yeah, hug a heifer doesn't appeal, but neither does support squirrel squeezing or stroking for psychological succour - due to their well-documented aggression (and indeed attacks - what are the government doing about that?).

Cycle psychotherapy for me, despite some posters' repeated slurs about pointy and even dirty bikes!

hawkinspeter replied to chrisonabike | 2 weeks ago
1 like

chrisonabike wrote:

Yeah, hug a heifer doesn't appeal, but neither does support squirrel squeezing or stroking for psychological succour - due to their well-documented aggression (and indeed attacks - what are the government doing about that?). Cycle psychotherapy for me, despite some posters' repeated slurs about pointy and even dirty bikes!

https://www.thecut.com/2018/10/emotional-support-squirrel-delays-frontier-airlines-flight.html

Quote:

The Miami Herald reports that the woman had no problem boarding Flight 1612. It was only when another passenger noticed that the animal in her bag was a squirrel, that officials were notified. According to an emotional-support animals website, Frontier Airlines permits cats and dogs on its flights, but not rodents — information that infuriated the woman when the airline asked her to get off the plane. When she refused the budge, police were called, and the entire plane evacuated.

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 2 weeks ago
1 like

Something about this "support animal" business has always made me quizzical, but I've never been able to put my finger on it.

1 like

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/colorado-cattle-death-lightning-jackson-county-b2552447.html

Quote:

A lightning strike in Colorado killed a rancher and 34 of his cows in Jackson County on Saturday, adding to the death toll of devastating storms that have swept across the US over Memorial Day weekend.

David9694 | 2 weeks ago
1 like

you mean collect them on the hoof like we do in CCIB?

Drinfinity | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

These handsome beasties live in the field on my regular loop. On this winter trip they found bliss in my studded tyres, which were both scratchy and salty.

Further up is bigger herd which have a habit of just standing in the trail, forcing the timid cyclist to mince around a bog to get past without causing alarm. 

ktache | 3 weeks ago
3 likes

The Belted Galloway cows and calves will be put out on the army ranges which I ride over on my evening commute this weekend, signs went up a week back, bulls arrive later. Keeps the heath heathlike. Small breed. And have been bread for docility too. Never had a problem with the mothers, but the little ones can get uppity. And then the mum's can get protective.
Most cow attacks involve dog walkers and cows worried for their kids, the advice seems to be keep the dog on a lead, yeah right, until the cows get aggressive then let the dog run off.

stonojnr replied to ktache | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

It can happen with just walkers,cyclists too, cows can be unpredictable, they arent domesticated, yes they can react more aggressively when there are calves they're protecting.

But I had this instance on a ride with a bull, over 50metres away in its own field, with a fence between us, I was on the road passing the field, it still clocked me as a perceived threat, went basically very aggressive, and tried to charge at us.

We left before it got to test how good the fence was, if we'd been in the same field I'd have been panicking for sure.

chrisonabike replied to ktache | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

I do like a belted Galloway, the mint humbug of the cow family.

ktache replied to ktache | 8 hours ago
1 like

Cows and calves were brought on a few weeks back, fiftyish last year, couple of bulls soon, saw the herd in the distance.
Oddly enough only seem to get close interactions with them when it rains, which gives me a Garbage ear worm for the rest of the ride. They stick to the new growth in the areas subject to recentish fires.
Hardy breed, could stay out over the winter, but the people who look after them need light to sort them out in the evenings and the ranges are closed until well after shooting stops.

Latest Comments